I wanted to share a few productivity tips I have picked up along the way, to help you make the best possible use of your time.
• Get really clear focus. So, re-visit your vision that you created at the beginning of this programme, make sure you keep it close and refer back to it, is this still your direction for the business? Does it still inspire you? Week it if you need to, but the more clear you can be on your vision, the less likely you are to let procrastination kick in.
• By way of planning (Remember the planning sheets you did) Try to make sure you know exactly what you are going to do when you sit down to work. It’s often useful at the end of each day to cross off what you’ve achieved and make a note of your top priorities to do the next day. I like to work in 3’s. I pick the top 3 things I need to get done, and then I am not overwhelming myself with a huge ‘To-Do’ list! More often than not, once I have done these three things, I’ll pop back to my list and pick a few other things to get done, and I have exceeded my expectations, therefore it’s a successful day, keeping me motivated.
• Whilst talking about clarity, remember the section we covered on marketing to your ideal client? The more you can stick to this, the more you are channelling your time into the right activities. You don’t want to waste your precious time marketing to people who are less likely to buy into you, so it could be a good time to re-visit that section.
• When you are picking your top 3 priorities for the next day, pick the biggest task that you don’t want to do, and get it out of the way. Everything else after this will seem really easy! I would highly recommend the book ‘Eat That Frog, by Brian Tracey’ this is all about prioritising.
• Chunk things down, so if you do have a big task that you’ve been putting off, break it up into the individual steps that you have to do. Just concentrate on part one, and get that done. You’ll find that it wasn’t so bad after all, and you can move on to part two. Then part 3. Just concentrate on each step and don’t put yourself under pressure to get the whole job done in one go.